There are options beyond the old lock and key entry to our homes or businesses today, technology is working to disrupt this existing model of security with the variety of digital locks currently on the market. Especially with the rise in interest to the automated home, not everyone wants the whole shebang of a smart fridge; ordering your food/sending you reminders, but there are levels to home automation like digital door locks that take the pressure off especially when you are juggling life, work, family… fill in the blanks.
Now Bunnings and Masters have a range of digital locks that you can buy and install yourself, but the digital door locks we are able to supply, are a locksmith grade option to the variety that are offered in these chain hardware stores.
We are growing the range as more high quality well priced options come onto the market and what we have to offer on our e-commerce site is a what we happily use in our homes, our parents homes and that is why we have them on our site.
Pro’s on Digital Locks
- Keyless entry
- Easy to change to codes – less than 10 minutes
- LED lighting – the keypad lights up after 1 button push
- Multiple user codes – easily update and remove people from the user list.
- Battery operated – no cabling or electricians required (batteries life = 3yrs on average)
- Low battery indicator warning
- Key override – if you miss the battery replacement you have a back up.
- Some brands are weather resistant; this is affected by the space between your screen door and your main door.
- Can not be manipulated.
Con’s to Digital Locks
- Batteries go flat without you noticing;
- That is why you should always choose a digital doorlock with a key fallback option.
- There are plenty of digital locks on the market, available in Bunnings, Masters and other hardware stores that are not insurance compliant. They may make life easier for entry into your home at the end of the day, but if your home is broken into with these locks on your door then that is a loophole for your insurance company to not honour a payout. This requires your consideration when you think of the $$’s you save on the initial buy by buying a digital door lock that offers low security standards.
The following digital door locks are what we have identified as insurance compliant and why we have them on our site. (except the Kevo but that is an example digital lock of what not to buy and if you do, where you can use it)
Schlage Digital Deadbolt with key fallback system.
If at any time the code does not work due to flat batteries it can easily be overriden by a key.
Schlage – is the No 1 selling lock in US.
Another digital lock we sell is the KeeFree
Service Call $109+ KeeFree $250 installed is one of the options we can supply.
The KeeFree has a remote similar to your car remote which you can unlock while you are still sitting in the car if someone has forgotten something in the house, which always seems to happen when you are in a rush. This system is about 3 years old and already we have digital locks in our range that can be opened through your smart phone or with a pin number which allows you to be notified, via a text, when certain members of your family arrive home.
Next is the the Lockwood Wireless Digital Deadbolt
If you are looking at home automation and are currently investigating the Z-wave or Zigbee network, both units are eligble for insurance compliance in Australia, then the Lockwood Wireless Digital Deadbolt can be used as one of the security measures for front/back door access.
It is one of the more expensive units we sell but it is because it is one of the best on the market in Australia.
Using the ZigBee Network Module, the Lockwood Wireless Digital Deadbolt can be seemlessly integrated with the Yale Wireless Alarm System.
Now the Carbine is the most basic of the digital lock range we have but it is very robust and simple to use.
It has various modes; entertainment mode when there is a number of people visiting, it also has a setting that allows you to have the door unlocked when you are home and waiting for other family members to come home or on a weekend when the aircon is on and the kids are walking/running in and out of the home.
Call one of our team today to discuss what is the best option for your home or business as our product range for digital locks is HUGE.